Saturday, November 15, 2008

An Epiphany

Yesterday was a bad day. I would venture to say that "bad" is quite an understatement.

This week has been an epiphany for myself. I won't bore with details, but if you give me an adult beverage, I am sure I'll pontificate.

Alas, here is a paraphrased snapshot of a conversation I had with Ana last night:

"Work is work. Work does not define you. A man is measured by his devotion to his family and his community. When you die, your headstone will not read 'Devoted State Employee.' It will read 'Beloved Husband, Father and Grandfather.'"

Sometimes words cannot describe how much Ana and our child(ren) mean to me.

4 comments:

Mrs. B said...

This is all very true (sorry to hear that you had a bad day, though).

My Father, THE HR VP Executive, when he decided to leave his job about 20 years ago, told me, "I realized when I was dying, I wasn't going to say, "I wish I'd negotiated that labor contract better", I'd say,"I wish I'd spent more time with my wife and kids and doing what is REALLY important".

Congrats for figuring this out well before most people do, sweetie!

And, having a supporting loving spouse makes ALL the difference. I certainly know THAT.

BrerSkwerl said...

I'm telling ya, with the new governor, and likely subsequent/impending NCgov "restructuring", you need to figure out some way to get yourself "appointed" to the WaRO, so when I buy my boat (I figured if nothing else, that line would get ya cheered up, or at least laughing... ;) ), and need to make a "field visit for a buffer call via water", I'll have someone to ride w/me, fishin' poles (and adult beverage?) in hand!

Aah... But right now (beware, more humor at my own expense), the H-cane has me grounded... I've been put on "Office Arrest" until I shuck out some paper, and I've been on "OA" for the last 3 weeks... Maybe they should do an episode of "The Office" on that, where Dwight gets grounded, and I can be his understudy...

You are correct, though, work is just work, and if you've done what you can, then you should just leave the rest of it there (at the office), b/c it'll always be there...

Dena said...

And "Beloved Son-in-law"!
Now, after Kendal told you he loves you tonight, don't you feel better?

Melissa said...

I had a friend tell me that your job will end one day, but your family never will. Treasure what lasts. Love you, brother-in-law!