Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Brieft Encounter at the Beaufort County DOT Terminal

Long time, no post.

Yesterday, I traveled to Little Washington out in Beaufort County for an express review meeting. It was a beautiful day for a drive, and frankly I needed the time away from the office. As I rumbled down 264 in my beat up F350 Truck, I noticed a peculiar number of convict crews out and about in their green uniforms, cleaning up the litter from our careless motorists.



After my express meeting, which was a laborious 2.5 hours (however, it all went well from all sides represented), I headed to the Beaufort County DOT to fuel up the state car and be back on my merry way to Raleigh. I pulled up to the pumps and noticed one of the convict buses getting some diesel.

As I got out of the car and began fiddling with the gas key card, I nodded to the Guard fueling the bus, then heard someone say "Dude. What's up Chad? It's been so long, bro. We should go catch some gnarly waves. Awesome!" I smiled, and realized one of the convicts was commenting on my Hawaiian shirt I was wearing.



He kept right on cracking jokes and poking fun at me, and I could hear the entire bus hooting and hollering. I kept a pretty grim face now, and looked over at the guard. He shrugged, and kept on pumping fuel.

As the joking kept rolling, I motioned to the guard and pointed at the bus. The guard gave me the ok sign, and I said...

"I wear Hawaiian shirts because I don't look good in green."

I heard a roar of laughter from the other convicts, then I heard the guy who had been cracking on me yell "What did you say??"

Time to get in the car and roll back to Raleigh.

That exchange made my day.

5 comments:

Analee said...

LOVE it!!!

Mrs. B said...

Pretty funny. I guess those dudes look for anything for entertainment. The joke's on them, of course, that you got to get in your car and go home and they got to stay in the bus and/or pick up other people's trash.

BrerSkwerl said...

Nice... ;) Now I can't wear Hawaiian to the DOT! Ooh... If Al goes over there, uh oh!

Analee said...

lol chris... al always wears those shirts. good point!

Jon said...

How beat up was the F350? I can totally see you in a F350 from the 70s & the shirt!