Thursday, January 21, 2010

Where The Time Goes

Last night while I was trying to fall asleep, I wondered where all my time goes in a week.  Trying to be with the children as much as possible, most of you know that I work 4 days a week, in order to spend most of my Fridays with the kids, so Ana can have a break to run errands or just have some peace and quiet.

Another goal of mine is to not work more than the amount of time I spend with the kids.  Growing up, I always missed my Dad because he worked and traveled so much.  I know now that he was doing that to provide for us, and I realize how hard it is to not get trapped into working all the time.  I'm sure if my life had taken a different direction 4 years ago that I'd be working 50+ weeks in order to amass a huge surplus of comp time in some vain attempt at retiring a few years early.

Anyways, I sat down this morning and figured out where my weekly time goes.

On Monday through Thursday, I wake at 4:30 a.m., get to work at 5:30 and get home at 5:00 p.m.  This leaves me 4 hours to play with the kids until they go to bed at 9, and then that leaves me an hour and a half to rub Ana to sleep.  Then I go to bed around 10:30 p.m.

On Friday through Sunday, I wake at 7:00 a.m. (usually) and spend time with the kids until 9:00 p.m., and then I usually spend an hour and a half with Analee.

So, the breakdown is this:

Time waking, commuting and working - 50 hours
Time with the kids - 58 hours (58 > 50, yeah!)
Alone time with Ana - 10.5 hours
Sleeping - 49.5 hours

Which sums up to 168 hours, exactly a week's worth of time.

2 comments:

Analee said...

you forget weekend naps! unless they count as "time with the kids" since, technically, you aren't working so it is time that they COULD be with you... except they are with mamaw sleeping!

Jon said...

A famous, yet appropriate, quote:

"No one ever died saying 'I wish I would have spent more time at work.'"