Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Anza Borrego Part I - Are We There Yet?

At 3:00 AM, Wednesday March 8th, several months of planning (Analee would say “over-planning”), researching trails and waiting finally ended, as we awoke for our 6:00 AM flight to Chicago O’Hare, on our way to the Anza Borrego Desert State Park in beautiful Southern California. Analee’s Mom, Dene, drove us to the airport, and we arrived with plenty of time to check our luggage (two Class A Army issued duffle bags and two suitcases). You’d be amazed how much camping gear we fit into these bags!

We boarded the plane and everything appeared to be going smoothly, until we realized that our layover in Chicago was only 30 minutes. To top it off, our flight was running late, and they needed to de-ice the wings. Now the nerves set in (for me at least). I starting worrying myself sick about luggage, missing flights, the enormous terminals at O’Hare, plus my claustrophobic seat on our United Puddle Jumper didn’t help. My nerves were so bad that I had to “use the air sick bag” in the lavatory (Note: Puddle Jumper lavatories are not made for 6’1” 210 lbs men).


Eventually, we landed in Chicago at Gate C-15 and as our outbound flight was boarding in Gate C-20. The stars aligned. Even though the next flight was delayed due to a broken AC, I was glad to have an entire middle row to ourselves, even though I had to endure a sappy Sarah Jessica “Horse-face” Parker drama (The Family Stone).


We arrived at LAX around 10:30, and had our rental car by 11:15. Now, I usually don’t care much for rental car companies, but I must say that Avis was a fantastic deal. We got a brand new 4WD Chevy Trailblazer for 11 days at about $20 a day. What a sweet deal. Also, as the car was brought to us, Analee noticed that it had scratches down the side and a dent on the front passenger side. At least the car was already damaged . . . hee hee.


After a brief memory lapse (mistake #1), I eventually found the 91 Artesia Freeway, and we struck out for the desert via Temecula. We stopped for a lovely lunch of Taco Bell next to an Anaheim Hills high school (mistake #2). School had just let out for lunch, and the place was crawling with hormones, acne, obnoxious cackling voices, and more underage skin than I’ve ever seen before in my life. After having a “local blonde” throw a cup lid at me in a feeble attempt to dispose of her trash, I was ready to leave (Was I ever this annoying? I hope not!). We hit the road again and Analee finally got some sleep . . .


As we approached Temecula, it was time to start looking for grocery stores, since we did not bring anything to eat, nor could we bring some camping supplies due to TSA restrictions (matches, propane, etc.). Yet, as we approached Temecula, I saw Analee snoozing away, and I thought I’d be a good boyfriend, get groceries further down the road and let her sleep (mistake #3). I should have been inconsiderate and woke her up. There isn’t a single grocery store after Temecula all the way to Anza Borrego!


After searching for stores, we decided to go straight to Borrego Springs and the ABDSP Visitor Center. We were treated to a spectactular view as we descended into Borrego Valley via Montezuma Valley Road (See picture above). You descend approximately 4,000 ft over a few mile stretch, so you get some amazing vistas as you snake your way down the valley floor (Mistake #4 - forgot there are other gears than Drive, like 3rd, 2nd and most importantly 1st!).

Indian Head Mountain near the ABDSP Visitor Center

We spent a few moments at the Visitor Center, where we finally found the location of a "grocery" store. Turns out it is a place called the Central Market, which is in the rear or a cruddy old strip mall. Here is where I finally lost my cool, but God willing, Analee was there to remind me we were on vacation . . . I blew a fuse because groceries and supplies are EXPENSIVE out in the middle of no where. After much hemming and hawing on my part, we got groceries for 4 days. After the grocery debacle was complete, Analee had the best idea I've ever heard for air matresses. We went to a gas station, found an air pump and filled up the matresses (she's an engineer in my book for that idea). Of course, the gas station owner was none too please with us using his "valuable" tools, so we were charged $1. Even though the guy gave me a Deliverance
feeling, at least we wouldn't be sleeping on hard ground.

From there we were off to Agua Caliente and campsite 140 next to the trail head for Moonlight Canyon. It was amazing to be back in Anza Borrego. My memories paled in comparison to the stark beauty of this land. My heart was filled with joy as I saw old haunts and the awe in Analee's eyes. For the first time in a long time, I felt free.

Zooming to Agua Caliente...

PS - Analee just reminded me about an interesting incident. After we set up our camp in the dark, Analee felt something cold run on to her foot, sit a spell and then bolt under the tent. Turns out the "something cold" was a mouse. Instantly Analee didn't like our cozy, secluded campsite next to the spring anymore. From then on every bump, creak, snap, hiss in the night was a flesh eating death monster, hell bent on torture . . . or just a mouse.

UP NEXT: Anza Borrego Part II - A Ghostly Wind

3 comments:

Mrs. B said...

You must be Blog-stymied since you're re-hashing.

I've really been struggling w/ what to write with this new Blog.

I don't know why; it just feels weird still!

Mark, on the other hand, seems to have finally found his "B"oice.

Analee said...

i want to go back, right now!

Analee said...

oh, and you were my "boyfriend." how weird. since we've been married for a year!!!!!